Monday, May 3, 2010

Salim Tamari

I think that Salim Tamari's approach to tracing modernity requires a lot of insightful thinking. He traced one person's life to help provide a detailed reflection of the changing social context in Jerusalem. I hope my understanding of Wasif is correct: he is an orthodox Christian who was deeply immersed in Muslim culture? Initially I thought they were all Muslims from the way their names were written. I wonder if Wasif's readings of the Qur'an and Bible had any spiritual impact on him or if they only helped him expand artistically. Even Jawhariyyeh's eulogy is a reflection of the change in attitude between the Christains and Jews. Did the Christian's side with the Muslims around 1948 war? I wonder if, as a Christian, Wasif was better able to maneuver into both Muslim and Jewish cultural spheres. Again, we revisit Zalitimo, the Palestinian bread from the first article and movie.
I like that Salim clarifies that "Nativist" is a retrospective term. Was it innovative for Tawfig Canaan's time to examine peasant culture and assume it serves as a window to ancient Palestinian culture?

No comments:

Post a Comment