Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Armstrong Third Reading

Chapter 8- It is most interesting the various modes through which Jews found comfort. They studied the Torah, stressed charity and compassion in the place of sacrifice, and even turned to mysticism. To me, this resembles the Jewish religion that I am familiar with today. I am certain this the due to the coming of Jesus, and the Christian's and Jew's distinct beliefs about his divine identity. I am also surprised how relentless the Jews' were in their hopes for a new temple. I am still a confused as to why if John wanted continuity between the Judaism and Christianity, why he was against building a Temple. I really like the analogy of the sea and the cave to the presence of the Devir. Interestingly, the Jew's idea of the sacredness of Jerusalem was not changing; however, their belief of how to connect of Shekhinah changed. I also don't quite understand the distinction between Jewish Christians and the circumsized Jews. Did the Jewish Christians believe that Jesus was a Messiah, and the rest of the Jews turned to asceticism?
Chapter 9- - This chapter depicts Christians gaining a sense of sacred land is Jerusalem even though, at first Christians denounced Jerusalem before because it was the site death and resurrection site of Jesus. There is an importance given to artifacts and memories, like pieces of the cross on which Jesus died, and the Eucharist and Bread. I find it interesting the Christians, like Jews, believe that God can be found anywhere too, but still want to build a New Jerusalem. It seems like Jews and Christians both have similar appeals. I now understand why Judaism and Christianity both became so distant from one another. To me, the reading makes it seem like there are not immense differences between Judaism and Christianity, but it was the way they were treated by the rulers of Rome.

No comments:

Post a Comment