Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Armstrong Second Reading

Chapter 5- I found this chapter quite interesting. I wonder how Ezekiel convinced the Judeans of the concept that they were able to connect to connect with the divine anywhere and to follow the new imitatio dei. I like Armstrong's integrated approach and the fact the she takes into consideration the concomitant spiritual accounts of other countries. I feel as though I have a comprehensive historical understanding from reading the chapter, and can see how this book seems less subjective than others. Ezra's role in transforming Sukkoth to a carnival is interesting. The idea that separateness signifies holiness is a little disturbing; I am a little shocked that Ezra ordered Isrealite men to send away their foreign wives.

Chapter 6- The distinction of Jews held onto older traditions and those who embraced Greek ideals is very economically class based. I appreciate the unifying and culturally embracing concept of the Hellenizing project. Embracing modernity and still honoring traditions is an interesting struggle for followers of many others religions even today. It reminds me a little of how the less conservative Jews in Isreal travel to Palestine on the Sabbath. Antioch seems brutal and ruthless. I wonder where the Hasmoneans actually came from. Jerusalem was much more expanded under the Hasonean period than it is today.

Chapter 7- Herod's newly built temple seems as though it was more inclusive than the other temples because it permitted the entrance of female pilgrims. According to the map it even included a Court of Women. There is still the notion being located in a holy place forms a strong bond with the divine. Does the idea of sacrifice ever lose its importance in Jewish religion? I now see the relationship Romans, the Jews, and Jesus' crucifixion.

No comments:

Post a Comment